I noticed today that blog.seoptimise.com has been removed from the Google index. The blogs web design was updated earlier in the week and by looking into the source code I found that this was being caused by the Blogger tag <$BlogMetaData$> which produced the sites meta tags including this line of code:
<meta name=“ROBOTS” content=“NOINDEX,NOFOLLOW” />
Luckily I managed to spot this fairly quickly and hard-coded the generated code instead (without the noindex, nofollow meta tag obviously) so hopefully Google will notice this within the next couple of days. The <$BlogMetaData$> meta tag is used by most Blogger templates and I’m sure it doesn’t normally do this but it’s definitely worth looking out for. Hardcoding this also has the advantage that you can replace the RSS auto discovery tags with your own FeedBurner URL instead of the default blogger XML files.