Three of the most trusted SEO and social media experts, Rhea Drysdale, Tamar Weinberg and Lee Odden. Photo by toprankonlinemarketing.
Interviews are often overlooked pieces of distilled wisdom. They aren’t very popular on social media but they definitely should be! In interviews experts often provide the most valuable nuggets of their knowledge in a very concise form. You need to study dozens of other blog posts to learn as much.
Moreover experts often tend to focus on one aspect a time when they write something themselves, even when compiling a list like this. On the other hand interviews focus on several key questions an expert wouldn’t even attempt to cover in one blog post or seminar. These facts combined result in in a very condensed piece of advice.
Also it’s quite difficult to determine who’s a real expert and who is not in the SEO industry and even more in social media marketing.
When someone gets interviewed s/he’s either popular or an expert or both. The difficulty in compiling this list of interviews was not finding 30 of them but sorting out the less valuable ones from the dozens there are. Also I wanted to feature not only the people everybody knows already like Rand Fishkin or Matt Cutts. There are numerous interviews with them.
Some true experts hide behind an invisible persona as an inhouse SEO and/or social media expert
but really have something to say others haven’t. So I added a few of inhouse SEO expert from big enterprises.
Last but not least I couldn’t find good interview that offers deep insights with some of the brightest minds of the industry like Danny Sullivan or Barry Schwartz. There were either too short, shallow, outdated or too much focused on a specific event or topic. Add those in the comment section if you think they are must read. I repeat, I didn’t just look at the names, I solely selected those interviews that offer real insights.
OK, enough of this, follow the links below to read the interviews with some of the most renowned SEO and social media experts.
- Interview of Tedster from WebmasterWorld: Ted Ulle’s Mad SEO Chops
- Cracking the Google Algorithm, and Understanding Search Patents with Ted “tedster” Ulle
- How SEOmoz’s Founder Went From Deep Debt To $4+ Mil Per Year – with Rand Fishkin
- Interview with Lee Odden of Top Rank
- Five Link Building Experts: A Group Interview – Sugarrae
- The SBS Interview: Lee Odden
- Ruud Questions: Aaron Wall
- Ruud Questions: Michael Gray a.k.a. Graywolf
- Rhea Drysdale Interview
- Ruud Questions: Tadeusz Szewczyk aka Tad Chef aka onreact
- Interview with Ralph Tegtmeier aka fantomaster
Inhouse SEO experts
- In-House SEO for News Site CNN : Talking In-House SEO with CNN’s Topher Kohan
- Getting SEO Answers From The Source: An Interview With SEO Insider Tony Adam
- Big Brand SEO Expert: Dan Perry Turner Broadcasting Interview
- SEO Auteur: My Interview With Dustin Woodard
- Brent D. Payne Interview of Chicago Tribune Company SEO
Social Media experts
- Social Media Interview: HP’s Tac Anderson
- Interview with Social Media Expert Alex Howard
- Ruud Questions: Steve Rubel
- Ruud Questions: Hugo Guzman
- Tamar Weinberg Interview – Author of “The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web”
- Personal Branding Interview: Tamar Weinberg
- Expert Interview Series: Jim Sterne on measuring your social media marketing campaigns
- Dan Zarrella – Interview
- Social Media Interview with Stuart Foster
- Social Media Q&A with the NHL’s Michael DiLorenzo
Matt Cutts and other Google employees
- Eric Enge interviews Matt Cutts
- Google Experts Answer your SEO Questions
- Google Search Guru Singhal: We Will Try Outlandish Ideas
- 20 (Rare) Questions for Google Search Guru Udi Manber
- Matt Cutts: How Google Deals With Web Spam
Business Blogging experts
- How to Build a 50,000 Subscriber Blog in Two Years
- Problogger – Interview and Q&A with Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett
- Interview with Glen Allsopp from ViperChill
- Interview with Business Blogger Steven Snell on His Recent 50k Blog Sale
To be honest: A list of interviews with experts in both SEO and social media could have been a top 100, 200 or 2000. Due to time and reader attention limitations I had to choose approx. 30 of them. Don’t think just because I haven’t included someone s/he isn’t an expert. It was a really tough choice.
I even included an interview with myself without being sure whether people consider me an expert but I was quite sure that I provided some unique insights in this interview.
So accept my apologies for not being on the list please!
Btw. how do I know who’s an expert and who is not? Difficult question. I think I’m at least expert enough by now to determine who is an expert on the subject of SEO and social media.