There were many great tips at Conversion Conference London last week – too many to fit into one blog post. Here are the first 58 takeaways from the first day. More to come soon!
Mobile and Real Time Optimisation
The conference started with Amy Africa, CEO of Eight By Eight, packing many tips for mobile conversion optimisation into her forty-five minute keynote.
- Three things matter for mobile:
Mobile has a half to a third the number of conversions of a traditional site.
You have to concentrate on only one goal.
Get users’ email addresses or phone numbers so you can profile them.
Pay attention to the user’s context, and use diversions to show them appropriate content.
- You have to have some mobile presence (even if it’s not a full mobile site)
- Optimise speed. A page should have a size around 50k.
Apps are not mobile sites. Concentrate on your mobile site rather than on making an app, unless you have a very good idea for the app.
Treat users on tablets separately to those on mobile.
- Where have they entered the site from? Different sources convert differently, or will want different information. Twitter converts well on the phone. People from shopping sites will want prices. Concentrate on your top referring sources.
- Where are they? You may want to show them a different page if they are looking at your site while in your store.
- Tablet traffic convert around twice as much as desktop.
- Mobile traffic convert a third or less.